Monday, February 9, 2015

More Than the Grammys? The Music Pantheon

As you may know, I'm a lifelong music-lover and musician that comes from long line of music-loving musicians. I grew up surrounded by the sounds of my grandmother–a charter member of the USO–singing and playing jazz tunes from her career in WWII, while my mom, aunts, and uncles strummed, played, and sang the music of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, and a bunch of other stuff (from the very famous to the very random, like my mom's cover of Patsy Cline's "Crazy," my Aunt Terese's renditions of "Teddy Bear Picnic" and the waltz from the 1951 Scrooge, starring Alistair Sim, and my Uncle Joe's hilarious "Mama, Yo Quiero").

As for me, I started playing the piano and singing with my grandmother when I was very young. Over the years, I took up the piano–first classically and then branching out into jazz and rock–trumpet, percussion, voice, and a bunch of other things. I've tried my hand at rock, classical music, conducting, composing, and just about everything else (to varying degrees of success). Needless to say, music has always been and will always be a central part of my identity.

So, with another Grammys behind us, I thought I'd give my take on a few things musical, in the form of what I want to call THE MUSICAL PANTHEON, a possibly-controversial table showing who I think ranks where in the musical stratosphere. Because you know, it's easy to get caught up in NOW! THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 3,458 and forget just how much work and talent it takes to "make it," and I think it's worth remembering–albeit with limits–the great women and men who have shaped the music industry making it the sometimes praiseworthy and sometimes ludicrous thing it is today.

Let me know what you think, and I'll add your suggestions to the chart (this definitely isn't exhaustive, or disagree with you and start Twitter wars that put Iggy to shame.

Without further adieu, here goes!


THE OLYMPIAN GODDESSES
Those women permanently enshrined in music history.

Ella Fitzgerald, Queen of Jazz and Mother of the Gods
Aretha Franklin, Queen of Soul and Queen of the Gods
Diana Ross, Queen of the 60's
Whitney Houston, Queen of the Belt
CĂ©line Dion, Co-Queen of the Belt
Madonna, Queen of Pop
Janet Jackson, Co-Queen of Pop
Stevie Nicks, Queen of Rock
Dolly Parton, Queen of Country


THE LESSER GODDESSES
Those women permanently enshrined in music history, 
but on a slightly lower rung than the Olympians.

Patti LaBelle
Dionne Warwick
Minnie Riperton
Patsy Cline
Loretta Lynn
Janis Joplin
Gloria Estefan
Christina Aguilera
Shakira
Mariah Carey
Jennifer Lopez
Mary J. Blige
Kelly Clarkson
Carrie Underwood

THE DEMIGODDESSES
One foot in heaven, one foot on earth, or:
Sure to be enshrined, but final verdict to be seen.

Beyoncé, the Greatest of the Demigoddesses
Taylor Swift
Rihanna
Jessie J
Katy Perry
Adele

THE NYMPHS
Starlets, making their way–but will they stay or will they go?
My predictions below.

Colbie Caillat–might be, but probably off-mainstream. Time will tell.
Ariana Grande–With some diction lessons, maybe.
Selena Gomez–No.
Meghan Trainor–Has a good shot.
Ellie Goulding–Signs point to yes. Talented live, which helps.
Ella Henderson–I hope so, but most likely with Colbie.
Tove Lo–One hit wonder.

THE FALLEN ANGELS
Known once, but likely to fade from memory.

Macy Gray
Lady Gaga
Norah Jones

THE GODDESSES OF OFF-MAINSTREAM
The greatest singer-songwriters;
goddesses in their own right, but not mainstream.

Cyndi Lauper
Joni Mitchell
Sara Bareilles
Ingrid Michaelson
Rachelle Ferrell

THE OLYMPIAN GODS
Those men (singers and musicians) permanently enshrined in music history.

Buddy Holly, Grandfather of the Gods
Elvis Presley, Whose Hips Didn't Lie Before Shakira's
Marvin Gaye, Father King of the Gods
Eric Clapton
Bob Dylan
Paul McCartney and John Lennon (or The Beatles), and not without George (not R.R.) Martin
Stevie Wonder
Sting
Steven Tyler
Bono and The Edge (or U2)
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards (or The Rolling Stones)
Michael Jackson, King of Pop

THE LESSER GODS
Those men permanently enshrined in music history, 
but on a slightly lower rung than the Olympians.

Sam Cooke
Michael McDonald
James Brown
Jim Morrison (or The Doors)
John Fogerty
CSNY
Neil Young
Joey Ramone (or The Ramones)
Elton John
Billy Joel
Bruce Springsteen
Usher
Tim McGraw

THE DEMIGODS
One foot in heaven, one foot on earth, or:
Sure to be enshrined, but final verdict to be seen.

Bruno Mars
Justin Timberlake
Adam Levine (with Maroon 5)
Ryan Tedder (with OneRepublic)
Luke Bryan
Brad Paisley
Lady Antebellum

THE SATYRS
Starlets, making their way–but will they stay or will they go?
My predictions below.

Pharrell–Already proven as a producer. Let's see what he can give. I say yes.
Ed Sheeran–He has talent to last a lifetime. Sorry the Grammys didn't give him something.
Hozier–Probably, but off-mainstream.
Sam Smith–Successful first album, but can he do something else? We'll see.
Jason Aldean–It's likely, though only in the country market.

THE FALLEN ANGELS
Known once, but in danger fading from memory.

CeeLo Green
Ted Nugent

THE GODS OF OFF-MAINSTREAM
The greatest singer-songwriters;
gods in their own right, but not mainstream.

Carlos Santana 
Jason Mraz
Johnny Cash
Davd Bowie
Bob Marley

What say you? Am I wrong, right, or somewhere in between?
Make your mark on music history (or this post). Say what you think!

No comments :

Post a Comment