Sunday, June 22, 2014

Music Monday: "Elicit Dimensions" Takes Me to New Dimensions

Happy Music Monday, everyone!

I'm excited to share this piece, which may be the least heard of anything I've ever written, despite being one of my most mature compositions - and a piece of which I'm very proud.

Here's how the piece came to be:

In October of 2008, at the West Side Nut Club Fall Festival in Evansville, IN (second only to Mardi Gras as street festivals go, mind you!), my close friend Blake Goedde introduced me to Julie Wilder, a woman he'd met the summer before through his tubist friend. Julie was finishing up her Master's degree in Tuba Performance at Western Michigan University. We talked about a lot of things - mostly music and my composition background. 

I had no idea, however, that Julie had plans for me!

Shortly thereafter, Julie asked if I'd be willing to compose an original piece for her Master's recital.  I'd never written for tuba, so I was a little hesitant at first, but after talking with her a little more, I agreed to write a trio: for Tuba, Horn in F (aka French Horn), and piano. The composition process itself was tough. I didn't know how to make a tuba soloistic, but with Julie's help, I came up with something that made us both happy. And that's the essence of collaboration, right?

After an initial statement of the theme, the piece journeys off in many directions, eliciting dimensions - Julie's titular choice - along the way. 

I hope you enjoy the piece, and thanks to Julie for allowing me the chance to write this piece - it was a truly enjoyable and groundbreaking experience! I'll never think of tubas the same way again...

No comments :

Post a Comment