Monday, June 30, 2014

Music Monday: Open Doors: A Story of Beginnings

"Let's call it 'Open Doors,' because that's what I do."

When I asked Sebastian "Seb" Bonaiuto, my college composition and conducting mentor, to choose the title for the second piece I'd premiere and guest conduct with the Boston College Concert Band (the first was "Ave Maria" and the third "Hollywood Lament"), that's what he said.  

And he was right.  Composing and premiering "Open Doors" opened tons of new doors for me. Although looking back, the piece lacks a lot of the finish of my more recent work and the performance isn't flawless, it has its moments - like the saxophone solo that I wrote for one of my closest friends, Becca "Bawlz" Brooke (don't ask).  

Seb and I in 2014
Most of all, I can still hear my compositional imagination at work.  I didn't intend for it to be the case, since I finished the piece before it had a title, but the different soundscapes that arise over the course of "Open Doors" are a lot like peeks in through different doors, into different dimensions of sight, sound, and experience (not to sound too much like Rod Serling of The Twlight Zone fame).

Beyond that, this was the piece that made me realize I could never stop composing, not even after beginning a PhD in Theology!  So, I hope "Open Doors" opens doors for you, dear listeners.  Enjoy!

And Seb, I can never thank you enough for all the doors you opened for me.

No comments :

Post a Comment