Monday, May 12, 2014

Fierce-Off: Vol. 3 | Who's Better? Beyoncé vs. J-Lo: Most Recent Hit | "I Luh Ya Like XO"

This little trip through the careers of our two divas-in-question comes to an end here in the present day, with two of their more recent releases.

First, we have Beyoncé's "XO," an arena anthem celebrating her fans (at least that's what she told us at her concert!).  The piece builds to its anthemic climax, in which Queen Bey proclaims, "I love ya like XO!"

Then, we have J-Lo's...ahem...different take on love:  "I Luh Ya Papi," from her forthcoming album A.K.A.  Actually, I really dig what J-Lo's video is about:  picking apart the male construction of female beauty and objectification of women found in most music videos.  She does it by a massive role reversal, putting scantily clad men in the positions that women usually occupy and "dancing up on them" while she and her two friends, sip drinks on yachts - you know, typical music video stuff.  So, given these two videos, I ask you once again:

Who's the fiercest of them all?

Comment, share, and tell the world what you think!






By a narrow margin, I'm going to hand round three to Beyoncé.  Although I think J-Lo's song is really catchy and the video is great as a quasi-feminist reaction to male privilege in the music industry, Beyoncé's vocals and natural grace win me over every time.  Plus, if you haven't heard the rest of, Beyoncé, the self-titled album "XO" comes from, you should check it out.  Something tells me that despite her great efforts here, J-Lo's A.K.A. simply isn't going to match the fierce we see here.

So Beyoncé wins 2-1.  Did I make the right call, or should J-Lo wear the crown?  Tell the world what you think:  who's the fiercest of them all?

In case you haven't already, check out Vol. 1 here and Vol. 2 here.

No comments :

Post a Comment